The building of Kuressaare Castle Park was triggered by a widespread movement in Europe in the 19th century to turn former fortifications into green areas and parks.
Landscaping of the oldest section of the park began already in 1861 by the initiative of the then Mayor Hugo von der Borg according to the layout by Riga architect H. Göggingen. Before, there was a medieval cemetery on the plot. The year 1862 city plan already included a park area on the northern side of the castle.
The creation of the park stimulated the role of Kuressaare as a sea resort which, in its turn, created a need to further expand the park. In 1890 an alley was planted on the glacis around the castle and by 1890 the castle park had a nice open area with a bandstand, the Tivoli Café and the Resort Club. In the early 20th century the park was extended along the Allee Street to the eastern side of the castle.
The initial area of Kuressaare Castle Park, including the castle and the moats was 17.2 ha.
After adjustment of the borders in 2002 the park area was reduced to 6.3 ha.
The park is a nature conservation area from 1959.
The castle was taken under protection as an architectural monument in 1926.
The park belongs to the Kuressaare Old Town heritage conservation zone from 1973.
The park is rich in various species. 69 trees, 18 of which are native, were registered in the nature conservation section of the park in 2010.